NHS and social care services

Receptionist talking to a patient

Local services

The Wellbeing services do not provide healthcare or social care support or advice. For these services the following places can help.

Prevention Assessment Teams

Prevention Assessment Teams are made up of health advisers (nurses), social care staff and people from the voluntary sector. They aim to help people living locally to stay healthy and remain independent. Normally, they work with people who do not receive services from specialist health care teams or social care services.

They can work with you or your carer and undertake an holistic assessment of your household. This will help identify what support might be required to keep you or your carer independent and prevent or delay the need for more intensive services. They will help you get to the right services for you.

Contact your local Prevention Assessment Team if you think they may be able to help.

Prevention Assessment Team's - Working Age Adults' service

The Prevention Assessment Team's (PAT) Working Age Adults’ service helps to maintain the health, wellbeing and independence of working age adults who face difficulties with everyday life, including those with High Functioning Autism and Asperger’s, but do not require support from specialist services.

The service is based in the existing Prevention and Assessment Teams and provides support such as signposting to local social groups, helping people into employment or voluntary work or helping to develop budgeting and cooking skills.

Please contact your local Prevention and Assessment Team if you have any questions or think they may be able to help you, or someone you know.

The NHS website

The NHS website is the country's largest health website, which gives you the information you need to make choices about your health.  For example, you can check your symptoms online, find out more about hundreds of health conditions and treatments, and find telephone numbers and addresses for most NHS organisations such as GPs (family doctors), dentists, pharmacies and NHS walk-in centres.

Healthwatch West Sussex

If you have been on the NHS website and can’t find the right information, try your local Healthwatch, which provides advice, information and help on health services available in your local area.

You can contact Healthwatch West Sussex by calling 0300 012 0122  or by emailing the Health Watch West Sussex helpdesk

Social care services in West Sussex

For information about adults’ and children’s social care services visit the West Sussex County Council website.

For adults needing support, the West Sussex Connect to Support website provides information and advice allowing you to explore the options available to you at any time of day.  It also means you can:

  • search and shop for products and services online;
  • find local activities and groups;
  • access help and advice;
  • find out about getting funded social care support;
  • connect with your local community;
  • take control of your own support;
  • and find products that will help you at home.

Health services – choose the right service if you feel unwell

By choosing the most appropriate NHS service if you become unwell, you can receive fast and effective help, information and support.

Self care
Many everyday illnesses can be managed at home with a well-stocked medicine cabinet. A pharmacist can advise you about over-the-counter remedies and pain relief.

Ask a pharmacist (chemist)
For medicines advice and minor ailments you should have a chat with your pharmacist. Pharmacists are qualified to give you free, expert advice – and you don’t need an appointment.

GPs (doctors)
Your GP's (doctor's) surgery is the right choice for general medical advice and treatment, prescriptions, vaccinations and tests. Anyone who urgently needs to see a doctor or other health professional should be able to do so as quickly as possible.

NHS 111
NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.  You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. Trained advisors will ask you questions over the phone to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straightaway to the local service that can help you best.  For immediate life-threatening emergencies continue to call 999.  

Other local health service organisations

Sussex Health and Care, the Integrated Care System (ICS) for Sussex, brings together NHS and local authority health and care providers from across the county to work in a more joined up way to ensure better care for all, see the Sussex Health & Care website for more information.

Your Wellbeing hub